Shishuasana or Child’s Pose Can Help Relieve Stress | Photo credit: Pixabay
- Yoga is considered both a form of meditation and an art
- Yoga is known to provide physical and mental benefits to the body
- There are several yoga poses dedicated to the treatment of various health problems.
New Delhi: Headaches are a common problem among people and they have enough power to disrupt people’s way of life. Several factors, both physical and environmental, can cause headaches. The most common causes of headaches are lack of sleep, stress, skipped meals, and dehydration. We can conclude that lifestyle plays an important role in preventing headaches. This brings us to the next question: What changes can we make in our lifestyle to combat the problem of headaches?
Yoga has been part of Indian culture since time immemorial. The benefits of this form of physical activity have been proven by performance. But can yoga help with headaches?
Yoga poses to cure headaches
Here are three yoga poses that can help relieve your headaches:
Shavasana or the corpse pose: The main purpose of this pose is to relax the body and calm the senses. It’s a great pose for meditation and can help relieve headaches and stress. You can perform this pose in the following steps:
- Lie face-up on a yoga mat.
- Start to relax your body by relaxing your muscles. Start with your toes.
- Calm your breathing.
- Lie down in the pose for as long as you are comfortable.
Setu Bandhasana or the bridge pose: As the name suggests, this pose requires the body to form a bridge-like structure. It can help with headaches as well as cramps. You can perform this pose in the following steps:
- Lie face-up on a yoga mat.
- Place your hands on the stretched mat parallel to your body.
- Now bend your knees with your feet on the mat.
- Regulate your breathing accordingly.
- Lift your hips with your legs and hands in the specified position. Do this until your hips are almost parallel to the floor.
- Hold the posture until you are comfortable.
- Lower your hips and relax.
Shishuasana or the child’s pose: This yoga pose resembles that of a child. It is known to relieve stress and tension in the body as well as to treat headaches. You can perform this pose in the following steps:
- Sit on a yoga mat with your feet together and your knees bent.
- Stretch your arms upward and relax your body.
- Slowly bring your arms back toward the mat as they are stretched. Make sure they are straight and stretched outward.
- Rest your forehead on the mat and regulate your breathing calmly.
- Stay in the pose as long as you are comfortable.
- Return to the original position.
Disclaimer: The tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or dietitian before starting a fitness program or making any changes to your diet.