- International Yoga Day is celebrated on June 21
- This day tries to raise awareness of the importance of yoga
- Starting Your Day With Yoga Can Help You Start Your Day
International Yoga Day is celebrated on June 21 every year. The day is observed to raise awareness of the countless benefits of yoga. The ancient Indian form of exercise is known to bring mental and physical well-being to the body. Yoga asanas are a one stop shop for a full body workout without the need for any external gear or equipment. The exercises can be performed indoors and are a combination of breathing and stretching techniques that focus on the whole body as well as the mind. Yoga can rid the body of several diseases, strengthen bones and muscles, and regulate hormone secretion.
International Yoga Day 2021: 5 yoga poses for beginners to start the day on a healthy note
If you want to start doing yoga asanas, here are 5 easy and effective poses to try in the morning.
1) Surya Namaskar
Surya namaskar is a combination of 12 asanas called Sun Salutations. Surya Namaskar is known to strengthen the muscles of the spine and back. It is known to lower blood sugar levels and improve metabolism and blood circulation.
- To begin with, one must stand up straight, arms crossed, in a prayer position.
- Gradually lift your joined hands behind your head and stretch fully back. Then exhale and bend down and touch your palms to the floor.
- Bend your right knee towards your chest and push your left leg all the way back and inhale.
- Bring your right knee next to your left leg and exhale and hold the plank position.
- Place your body flat on the mat and place both palms on either side of your body and lift your abdomen and stretch your head back and inhale keeping your legs firmly flat on the floor.
- Then transition by lifting your hips towards the ceiling and your palms flat on the floor forming an inverted V and exhale.
- Bend your left knee against your chest and stretch your right leg behind you and inhale.
- Finally, bring both legs forward and stand up straight, stretching your arms behind your head before bringing them back to the initial prayer position.
This pose is primarily used to strengthen your abdominal muscles and provide relief to your lower back. The pose is popularly known as the cobra pose and helps to lose weight around the belly. This exercise can be done by:
- Start by lying face down
- Slowly bring your palms down and place them next to your chest
- Apply pressure to your palms and gradually lift your abdomen area
- Inhale as you lift your upper body and stretch
- Lift your head as far back as possible
- Hold this position for a few seconds
3) Mudra Asana
The mudra asana is the perfect pose to aid digestion, stretch the back, and strengthen the abdominal muscles. If done in the morning, the pose will ensure efficient digestion throughout the day. To do this exercise you start with:
- Sit in a bent knees position
- Place both arms firmly behind your back
- Breathe deeply
- Gradually release the breath by leaning forward until your forehead touches the floor
- Hold this position for a few seconds.
- Begin to return to your initial position by inhaling slowly
4) Parsva Sukhasana
This pose is perfect for helping relieve the body of anxiety and stress. When done in the morning, this exercise is guaranteed to keep your mind calm and peaceful throughout your busy day. Here are the steps to follow:
- Sit with your legs folded in the lotus position. Breathe deeply and bend your palms
- Slowly lift the folded palms above your head and breathe deeply
- Exhale and bring your palms in front of your chest
- Place the left arm on the floor and stretch the upper body to the left with the right arm above your head stretching in the same direction as the body
- Come back to your original position. Then place your right arm on the floor and stretch your upper body to the right with the left arm extended above your head in the same direction as your body.
- Return your body to its original position and place both arms on your bent legs and start to breathe in and out slowly and deeply. Repeat these breathing exercises several times
Also known as the plank pose. This pose works on your back and stomach. This is great for strengthening your core and while it seems easy to do, it takes a tremendous amount of effort to hold the position. To do this exercise, start with:
- Lie on your stomach
- Place the arms in front of you and lift the body
- Balance the body on your palms and feet
- Keep your legs straight and make sure your arms are straight below your shoulders. Keep your body in a straight line and hold this position for a few seconds
- Exhale as you lower your body to a resting position
What are you waiting for? Try these asanas at home and feel the change.
Disclaimer: This content, including the tips, provides generic information only. It does not in any way replace qualified medical advice. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.